Being an undeclared liberal arts student is an annoyingly stressful thing. I wish that I could give one-word answers when people ask me what I'm studying, but instead, I have to go through the process of explaining that I basically have no idea of what I want to do.
"Blah blah blah uh, I'm undeclared right now but I'm probably going to declare a journalism major cause I'm pretty sure I want to be a writer blah blah blah blah..."
But the other day, I met with my peer adviser to talk about my major. I told her that I like journalism and all, but I'm not sure if it's the type of writing I want to keep doing. She brought up different areas of study I could try, and I found myself allured by the idea of majoring in communications, something I had previously known next to nothing about, because of the broad range of career paths that it boasts; the list included everything from business and marketing to editing and writing. I'm not shaking off journalism completely, but I am now, for the first time in over a year, considering something else as a possible major. I just don't want to limit my options to strictly writing because my interests seem to change really quickly. Maybe m opinion will change by the end of this semester, but right now I'm just keeping an open mind as I focus on newswriting and see where it takes me.
No comments:
Post a Comment