Friday, November 22, 2013

Opportunities and Journalism

On Tuesday evening, I attended a speech about the misrepresentation of Muslim women in society in order to fulfill the class requirement of writing a speech story. Having no previous exposure to the topic, I was prepared to be bored to death upon walking into the MUB Theater, slouching in the cushioned movie theater seat with disinterest. To my surprise, the talk ended up holding my attention extremely well, and opened my eyes to an issue that I found pretty interesting. The speaker also expanded the topic beyond just Islam, transcending  racial and religious boundaries to express the philosophy of people being united in the universe by some divine force that exists between all of us. Pretty cool. The best part, though, was that afterward, I was treated to a variety of Arabic horderves by the people who organized the event. Everyone I talked to was extremely welcoming and friendly to me, gave me great quotes and interviews, and even talked with me extensively about career options in journalism. This event was certainly something I enjoyed, and would never have encountered had I not been there to document it as a news story. Thank you, journalism,  for opening my eyes to the subject, for the opportunity to meet so many interesting people, and for all the awesome food.

No comments:

Post a Comment