Sunday, October 20, 2013

Newspapers, Sammy Sosa, and Christmas Mornings Lost in Digitalization

Before being sucked into the world of music and surfing in my late childhood, I was an avid baseball follower and OBSESSIVE Chicago Cubs fan. Every morning, I would race outside to grab the Boston Globe, tear open its stretchy plastic vessel, and ravenously rip through the pages to find the sports section on my kitchen counter. I remember nervously checking the scores every day, looking through standings and statistics for Sammy Sosa's name--Sosa was my idol, the reason I loved the game. When I found out he was using performance-enhancing drugs, I felt as though I had been decieved and lied to by the man I looked up to for years. I was crushed, and my interest in the baseball unfortunately began to wane.
My interest was recently reawakened by the Red Sox and their triumph through the playoffs; I'm beginning to remember all the excitement I used to feel while watching games on TV, and it's hauntingly nostalgic. As I look back on my memories of checking scores on weekday mornings before school, I feel like an old man; nowadays, people rely on their smartphones for a much more convenient way of staying updated on their teams, and younger kids probably never pick up newspapers for this reason anymore. News is becoming more automated as digital news sources are replacing the black-and-white, musty-smelling newspapers of my childhood. I can't imagine a young kid getting the same excitement in checking his iPhone for Red Sox scores as I did with the newspapers; it was like Christmas morning every day for me, and this new way just seems too mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment